ADepending on the formulation (i.e., high, ultra high, lightweight) UHM concrete is made from:
- A composite binder that consists of 2 or more materials such as ground granulated blast furnace slag, fly ash, fumed silica, and metakaolin,
- Aggregate, which may be fine sand and/or small gravel, and
- A stoichiometrically optimized activator solution that consists of alkali-hydroxide (sodium and/or potassium hydroxide), silica, and water.
- Proprietary retarders
- Lightweight cellular concrete incorporates air bubble forming agents in place of aggregate
- Non-cellular lightweight concrete uses lightweight aggregates such as perlite.